Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kitty Love

Last November I surprised Eric by taking him to go get a kitty at the Humane Society that we had originally spotted that previous May at the Humane Society off site location at Pet Smart.  She was a calico who went by the name of Shirley.  When we originally spotted her we were immediately taken with her but the timing wasn't good as Eric was heading back to B.C. for a course and at that point he wasn't sure if/when he'd be back.

Fast forward to November and we were scoping out the H.S. website and spotted a calico named Shirley.  I thought there was no way it could be the same kitty as I was sure she'd be adopted by this point.  I called from work and found out it was in fact her, that her adopted family brought her back as their cats never adapted to her. After work, I grabbed Eric and we went to spend some time with her.  He was sold.  He was nursing a broken heart as a result of a decision by his ex girlfriend to keep all of their cats instead of allowing him to take Captain, his kindred kitty.  Probably not the best time to do this, but I wanted him to smile again.  We didn't come home empty handed.  We decided Shirley was kind of a wall flower name (no offense if your name is Shirley and you're reading this) so we came up with Tabouleh.  It's colourful, and delicious, and an unusual name.  She now goes by Boolie-Butts, Fatty, Big Butt, or Douche as I so fondly call her from time to time.  She's not an overly huge fan of Holly. Though she did take a liking to me when I took her to the vet and got her meds when she wasn't feeling well, but that was brief.

Move ahead to this past May (?) when I caved after numerous requests from Roan to go visit the kitties at the Humane Society. He prefers to go to the main site with two rooms, no real reason why, but in my favour as their hours aren't as worker friendly.  Anywho....I was home early one afternoon as I had to work that evening so I agreed to take him.  We got there and immediately noticed three adorable cats.  Two black cats and one calico.  Roan bent over to pet the calico and this one black cat jumped on his back and laid down.  Almost like he had 'picked' Roan.  Which of course melted Roan's heart and mine a little.  I secretly wanted a cat that tolerated Roan and loved him as much as Roan would love him (but I didn't really need another cat). Needless to say we came home with a new black kitty in a kitty box even after being told we weren't permitted to have more than three cats in the city of Niagara Falls.  The look on Roan's face when they told us about this by-law was enough for the girl and her manager to bend the rules.  Much to my chagrin.   His name is Shakespeare and I decided to keep it, although now he also goes by Shakespeare von Beethoven, Black Boy, Big Black, Pain in the Ass, Asshole, and Shakey.

Point of this post is to say there are no regrets.  They are two pretty awesome kitties and I'm so proud to have been able to give them both an amazing home with much love and two other cats to share it with.  They've completely made themselves at home here and with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment