Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kitty Bunk Beds

Hello faithful readers!

I am so pleased to announce that I've completed two more crafty projects!  Only one is getting highlighted here because my house is its permanent home and the other is being gifted to someone so I'll wait to post about it until it's delivered to its forever home. 

Because I was so pleased with the outcome of my doggy bed project for Margie's sweet Boston Terrior Elliott, I (with the encouragement of Roan) decided to keep my eyes open for potential prospects to make a kitty bed for our house. 

Eric came across a similar table to the one used in the first project but instead of an octagon top, it's a round top and (I think) a little bit taller.  It sat in my craft room for a week or so before I got to it and Oliver took up residence.  I hope he likes the finished project just as much! 

So I followed the same steps as the first project by removing the doors and hardware and giving it a light sanding this time instead of peeling off all the veneer.  Also, because my living room isn't nearly as bright as Margie's I used more muted tones. 

I'm still trying to decide if I should do any sort of stenciling on it or just leave it plain like it currently is.  I'm a pretty plain girl.  It's been moved into my living room as that's the room I had in  mind for it when I created it.

So the table cost me $5.00 at Value Village.  The paint I used was the same paint I painted my living room with so that was free.  The material I used for the padded beds was left over material from my curtains when I converted them into blinds so that too was free!  And the stuffing I used on the padded beds came from old throw pillows I had laying around that were just taking up space.  Again, FREE!  All in all, this bed cost me nothing but the time I invested into redoing it. The only other thing I'm contemplating doing is adding a strip of velcro to the top of the bed so the top pillow doesn't fall off each time the cats jump down.  It hasn't so far, so if it doesn't become a problem, I won't bother. 
Not a bad finish considering I only spent about 4 hours total on this project.  It matches my living room perfectly. From the matching wall colour to the matching beds/blinds.  A sweet addition to my mono-chrome home!

No comments:

Post a Comment