Friday, September 28, 2012

Placemat Pillows

So I was at Walmart the other day and I spotted these "Autumn" themed place mats for $3 each.  I scooped them up with the intention to re-furbish them into a completely different household item.  Holding plates just isn't in their future with this girl.


I decided to turn these cool, but maybe not the most practical placemats into throw cushions.  Then I quickly came to the realization maybe they weren't meant for my house but maybe they were meant for Eric's parents new rec room.  Who knows...but that's who they are intended for (a slightly tardy part of Jill's birthday present). 


First I pulled the seam out at the bottom of the pillow (with my handy-dandy new seam ripper outie thingy, thanks mom!) then I took some stuffing from an old pillow I had laying around and I crammed it all up in that leaf, getting it all nice and tight in the little tips and everything.  Once I had it filled to my liking and smoothed out, I hand stitched the opening and VOILA!  Placemat pillows!  And then I repeated the entire procedure again so she'd have two, uh, uh, uh, uh....two pillows (insert lighting bolts here)!  Make sure you read that last sentance as if the Count from Sesame Street  was saying it.  Go on do, don't be a square.  Be a leaf!   



8 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so innovative! Wish I could think that way when I see bargains...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm certainly glad you think that way Holly. Eric's Mom loves them, thank you. They will look fantastic. You are a crafting machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I have some of these place mates stuck in a cabinet, lolol I used them on my coffee table. Woo Hoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very cute, I would love them for fall. Did you purchse 4 placemats and sew two together to stuff or is there a backing to make them into the pillows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I bought two and unstitched a section of the backing and stuffed them then hand stitched the small opening. Easy peasy!

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I can't wait to make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete