Saturday, January 15, 2011

Slacker

I feel like I've been slacking with regards to my blog posts this month...and I guess, frankly, I have.  I haven't really been on the computer much lately.  I normally spend most of my computer time while I'm at work and well, we've just been both short staffed and so busy that I haven't spent much time in my office these past few weeks.  By the time I get home I just need to decompress, so that's what I've been doing.  And while my brain needs the down time it doesn't leave much for interesting things to blog about.

So besides busting my ass and brain at work since the 27th of December, I haven't really done anything at all except watch some TV shows on Netflix and kill people in Call of Duty: Black Ops.  I've needed the mundane stuff to keep me sane.  I did however, manage to clean out both the boys bedrooms (a total of two extra large garbage bags - full), change their furniture around, get a double bed for Gage and move his single bed into Roan's room to replace his old bed, put their 'new' TV's in their rooms, steam clean their carpets, clean the house thoroughly, compile a massive pile of stuff for the goodwill store and clean out my 'hall' closet.  Not exciting I know.

I did get an opportunity last week to have a decent conversation with an old friend that I really, really needed.  And since that conversation my head is spinning with thoughts again... 

Eric and I have decided to take the opportunity to buy my grandmother's car from her next month, so after buying our Christmas present (46" flat screen) we're curbing our spending.  It was a deal I couldn't really pass up.  It's an old man's car but since I already drive one of those, what's another right?  It's a '97 Buick LeSabre, but it only has 75 thousand kms on it and it's been maintained like no one's business.  It will give Eric more freedom to get out of the house and clear his head during the day and not be so reliant on me for his mobility. 

Let's see...what else has been happening?  The boys are both doing well.  We seem to have a good cocktail finally with regards to Roan's medication.  This new pill we have him on seems to be doing a world of wonder.  So much so that even he notices that school is easier for him.  So fingers are crossed that is the right direction.   Gage is on better behaviour after his little stint in December at school.  He volunteered some time during his Christmas holidays with his dad at a soup kitchen doling out food to the less fortunate.  I think it was a little bit of an eye opener for him and I'm quite grateful that he got to experience that.  I am taking him next Saturday to tour the teen homeless shelter (RAFT) in St. Catharines and that should pretty much wrap up his 'project/punishment'.  I'm hoping we did the right thing by him and that he's learned a valuable lesson.   He had to donate all the money in the bank account of his that I have control over to homeless teens ($150), he was grounded for 3 weeks, he lost the use of his Xbox for just over three weeks, he lost the use of his computer and cell phone for two weeks, he had to do a project on teen homelessness which was made up of studying the statistics, researching and writing about a song about homelessness, volunteering at the soup kitchen and touring the shelter.  Maybe it's a little harsh on paper but he's young and maliable still...so now is the time to jump on poor behaviour.

The kitties are good.  Nika has finally decided to put the new cat, Mr. Squirrel in her place (5th from the top) and step up her game.  So there have been quite a few squabbles and fights this past couple of weeks.  I assume they'll sort it all out eventually, but I have a feeling the clawless wonder will reign supreme.  My money is on the Siamese.

Well I'm off to take advantage of these mild temperatures and go for a walk on this snowy day with Eric.  I've been cooped up in the house for two days doing nothing at all that I don't even feel like I had two days off.  Does that even make sense.  I'm starting to get cabin fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment