Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Resolution?

I've spent the past couple of weeks contemplating if I should bother to make any sort of New Year resolution, as I normally don't waste any thought on this subject.  I haven't come up with too much.  Not because there isn't anything to change about myself, quite the contrary... I just don't like putting that much pressure on myself.  I can't handle failure and I feel like if I state out loud for everyone to know then I'm setting myself up to disappoint.  If no one is aware of what I secretly vow to try to better then less people than myself are disappointed.  Make sense?

Anyway, I am putting it out there that I want to better my finances.  I'm not in a terrible position with debt, but I'd like to do better.  Last year I started putting more money into my RRSP than I'm normally used to.  I started an RESP for the boys and I took out more insurance on myself in the event that I become critically ill.  So in that way I'm on the right financial path.  But with regards to savings I fall short.  Both literally and figuratively.  I've joined up with a debt coaching website for tips and ideas on how to best utilize a budget.  Man that word is scary and daunting so hopefully with some advice and tips it will be easier than I'm anticipating.

I know my weakness is dining out.  It's my only vice.  I don't drink regularly, I don't smoke, I don't have any addictions, but I do love when other people cook for me.  Food just always seems to taste better.  I waste too much money on dining in restaurants.  It's convenient and easy.  I've looked into taking a cooking class with Gage in the near future with both the hope of spending some different kind of time with him and to learn how to prepare some decent meals.  I heard a rumour that you should know how to make at least ONE decent meal.  I'd like to have a few in my repertoire.  Maybe I should make that another resolution. 

So as the year progresses I'm going to try super hard to avoid the pitfalls of restaurants and make more meals at home.  I'm curious just how much money I'll have left in my bank account at the end of the day if I can stay on track.  I need to be strong.  Are there any such thing as restaurant sponsors like in AA or NA?  Someone I can call when I'm feeling weak?

No comments:

Post a Comment