Sunday, June 10, 2012

Brrr, that's frosty!

Hot damn folks, this girl made homemade strawberry jam this weekend.  I know, I know freezer jam is so much easier than normal jam but you know what?  I have to start somewhere and frankly my grandma's strawberry freezer jam was my absolute favourite.  And since she moved into the senior's home, we don't get it anymore.  So I thought (after seeing different recipes on Pinterest) that I'd make the attempt and see if I could replicate a childhood memory.  And since we are heading into strawberry season and locally grown strawberries are my absolute fave what better time than now? 

So here's the recipe I went with. I was a little worried that it wasn't firming up as much as I'd have liked, but my mom did remind me that freezer jam never really does.  But the consistency is alright so for a first time attempt I'm pretty happy.  It didn't yield as much jam as I would have liked, but since it was a total breeze to make I am going to grab a slab of strawberries this week and make some more this weekend.  I should then have enough stock to take me through the winter.  And I scored a box of mason jars (for a completely separate Pinterest project) a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale for $5 that have now come in even more handy than I was originally anticipating!  Double win. 

Freezer Strawberry Jam

2 cups of crushed strawberries (locally grown, in-season berries are the tastiest)
4 cups of white sugar
1 package of Pectin
3/4 cup of water

Clean and chop up strawberries, wash thoroughly as no one likes the green leafy stuff in their jam.  Use a hand blender to crush them even further and mix in sugar.  Let stand.  In the meantime,  mix the pectin in the water and bring to a slow boil on medium heat.  Boil for 1 minute.  Mix sauce in with sugared berries and let stand for a minimum of 5 minutes before filling containers.  Leave containers to sit on the counter for 2 hours or so before placing in the fridge or freezer.  Should last in the freezer for 8 - 10 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment