Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Out with the old and in with the NEW!

So aside from making one or two pseudo resolutions (of things that I really, really should do anyway),  I've decided that instead of setting myself up for disappointment by making lists of things I know I won't accomplish, I'm thinking of having a New Year's Eve Burning Ceremony. I got this idea from a lady who got the idea from her church so to speak. 

Here's what it entails:  You set up your fire -- fireplace, woodstove, candle in a nice ceramic/metal bowl, grill, kitchen stove and a pan, match and a concrete step or bare patch of earth or whatever -- then you write on small pieces of paper, in just a few words, things that you want to be free from in the new year. Emotional things you've been stuck on, relationships (or aspects of them) you're ready to be done with, habits you're oh-so-more-than-ready to quit; anything you want out of your physical, emotional, or spiritual space.

Then you light the freakin' things on fire and cackle with glee as they burst into flames and are released to the universe!  This is the part where you will laugh and laugh and laugh. 

Actually I'm thinking it can be very therapeutic, even for those of us who aren't really spiritual.

The whole New Year's thing has typically been a let down for me over the years.  I, somewhere along the way of life, have picked up the notion that it is supposed to be very meaningful.   It has rarely ever met that standard.   Maybe this silly simple little ceremony will help.   It can go many ways, yet again leaving me let down by something I've built up, it may prove to be a relaxing celebration, or a quiet reflection.

So here's saying good bye to 2011 and hello to 2012!  Burn baby, burn!  I'll make sure I don't burn the house down.  We all know what kind of luck I have with fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment