Friday, May 3, 2013

I Have a 16 Year Old Baby!

So yesterday was Gage's  16th birthday!  I can't even wrap my head around the fact that 16 years have passed since the first time I laid eyes on him.  It's so cliche, but it really does go by so quickly.  He's given me the odd disappointing moment in those 16 years but overall I've been blessed with a genuinely great kid.

A couple of weeks before his birthday he reminded me that his "sweet 16" was a milestone and thus he should be getting extra presents and probably a car.  I needed to remind him that he wasn't living in Hollywood or in a Hollywood movie, but just Holly's house.  Oh and I told him he wasn't a girl, so the whole "sweet 16" thing was just kind of weird when associated with a boy.

But Eric did make him a music play list of songs about "Sweet 16" from the 1950's and 1960's to listen to while we had birthday breakfast together before our days got started.  Gage was thoroughly creeped out at the thought of a 30-ish man singing about a 16 year old girl, but we educated his ass and told him that's pretty much how it was back then (like we would know - being so young ourselves)!

He got to open his present from us; two concert tickets to see City and Colour (ya, we're letting him take a friend, not one of us), a bunch of clothes from his favourite store in Toronto and a blown glass zombie finger (which he thoroughly enjoys).  I think he was pleased overall with his gifts even if they didn't require an ignition key.  Gage's former step mother (but still actively involved in his life) popped over with a gift from her and her parents and then my mom, sister, sister in law, niece and nephew stopped by to have some cake with us after dinner; all bearing monetary gifts.  So now the kid has a wallet full of bills and is trying to decide what to spend his hundreds of dollars on.  Overall, I think he had a decent birthday despite the actions or lack thereof of his father.  (I had a long blurb about that, but I thought better of it and deleted it.  It was therapeutic to type it all out though!!)

So best wishes to my #1 son (in birth order only people, relax...I already have enough reasons to have Roan in therapy) as he surpasses yet another milestone.  And don't worry, locally situated readers, I'll make sure I do another blog post when he has secured his beginner's driver's license so you are readily prepared.  May the next 16 years and beyond as his mother be as fulfilling, rewarding and wonderful as the first 16.

Happy Birthday Gage!! 

He really does LOVE me.  Even if he pretends he's too cool. 



2 comments:

  1. my boys are 8 and 9 and I already know how fast it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your post about coughing dogs and irregular heart beats. I swear it's because of days like that that it all seems to go by in a flash!!

      Delete