Tuesday, March 19, 2013

All You Need Is Love, and Epoxy



Last summer in my seasonal tour of garage sales I stumbled upon a stunning, faux fur, simple, metal stool for one dollar (yes, I think it warrants that many adjectives).  Yes, ONE dollar!!  I had an idea of what I'd like to do to it and actually had the parts to create my vision (that I'd scored at yet another garage sale for 1 dollar as well).  It's taken me until just now to get around to it.  I'm kind of kicking myself because the actual craft itself hasn't taken long at all. 

 

I decided that I would use it as a side table in a little corner of the den that is tight on space and skimpy on light, yet close to a wall plug.  So I (rather Eric did it 'cause I was at work) took the faux fur and padding off which left us with an MDF thick circle of wood - perfect for the base of the soon to be table.   I then painted the base a glossy black (I have had the paint for about 5 years from a school project of Gage's, so that cost me nothing!).  Upon drying, I glued a Beatles album onto the black base with an epoxy (I tried a glue gun first, failed miserably.) and reattached the whole thing to the metal legs.  Et voila!  A new mini side table perfect for my little lamp that I recovered in twine months ago! 



Here it is in its forever home.  I took the red version of the album and made my own record bowl to hold our remote controls and stuff.  This entire project literally cost me TWO measly dollars.  Pretty decent if you ask me!  The more I look around my den as it starts to come together, the more I realize most of the stuff in there is a garage sale score, Kijiji find or thrift store purchase.  I'm kind of amazed at myself.  Because up to a year and a half ago, I poo-poo'd the smallest notion of a garage sale and I never would have imagined I'd be furnishing a room in my house with those kinds of finds.  I should probably take a moment to thank my best friend, Margie and her mom for taking me with them garage sailing two summers ago. 

 

4 comments:

  1. Looks AWESOME Holly!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. Good Job Crafting Queen. Maybe your Mom and I will look for some treasures for you when we are on our trip.

    Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete