Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Campfire Goodness...

Without the actual campfire!

I found a recipe that I've been looking for for what seems like an eternity and now that I've found it I want to smack myself upside the head because it is so ridiculously easy a monkey could have figured it out.  Yup, I'm a tool.  I tweaked it a teeny tiny bit and it still turned out magnificent!  That doesn't normally happen for me.  If I tweak a recipe I usually screw it up. 

Ever since I can remember, starting as a small child, my favourite cereal in the world was Golden Grahams.  Still is, with Special K with red berries coming in as runner up  (ooooh, I should make these with Special K with Red Berries next!).  So a few years ago when they put Golden Graham Crispy Treats (like Rice Krispy squares but using Golden Grahams) out on the market, I was in heaven.  At first it didn't occur to me to make them myself but after paying the exorbitant amounts of money they were asking for for said treats, it just makes sense to do it at home. 


So here's the recipe in case you were looking or in case you feel inspired after looking at the photos.  I kind of wish they would come up with a computer where you could taste a photo.  Ya know? 

6 tbsp of butter or margarine
1 bag of mini marshmallows
1 tsp of vanilla
1 box of Golden Grahams
1 cup of milk chocolate chips (or mint chips, or butterscotch chips, or peanut butter chips or semi-sweet chips, or white chips, you get the drift)
1 cup of white chocolate chips (I added these as they weren't in the original recipe)


Melt the butter on medium/low heat and stir in marshmallows.  Once the marshmallows are melted and you have a smooth, creamy mixture stir in the vanilla.  Then fold in the entire box of Golden Grahams ensuring they are all coated in marshmallow mixture.  Fold in 3/4 cup of each chip (don't worry, they will melt some).  Take mixture and put into a buttered square baking pan.  Pour remainder of the chips on top and press down lightly with your hands to ensure they are stuck to the treats.  Place in fridge for 10 minutes to firm up. 


Once cool and firm, cut up into squares and ENJOY!  One square pan yields about 12 bars (if you cut them like a normal human being). 

These were actually so much better than the store bought ones.  Everyone in my house loved them (and that's an accomplishment because Roan is uber picky, even about desserts).  They only lasted one evening.  Definitely on my must make again list! 

5 comments:

  1. yesss I love the idea of being able to taste via the computer :o) all I have to say though, is YUM!!!! Thank you SO much for linking up at happy hour I am SO making these!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. so delish...love how easy it is to make...thank you for sharing..xo

    ReplyDelete